This is quite possibly my favorite new side dish that I have started cooking. My family loves Mexican food and this wonderful Costa Rican dish seems to compliment everything I’ve served it with so far.
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups white rice (we use jasmine rice)
- 4 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 small or half a medium onion
- ½ small sweet pepper
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- Chop up the cilantro, onion, and pepper
- Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan
- Saute the rice for about 2 minutes over medium heat
- Add the chopped vegetables
- Saute for another 2 minutes
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil and cover.
- Simmer on low heat until rice is tender (about 25 minutes for us)
Another helpful hint I found out is that you can actually buy “Tico” sauce that some of the restaurants down there use to season their rice (and basically everything else). It’s called Lozano Salsa and it works just as well sprinkled over rice.